Monday, July 7, 2008

The Sand Dollar- Proposed to Replace the Eurodollar?

Since I literally live 20 feet from the beach, I try to frequent the sand and sea as often as my schedule allows. Usually, I spend an hour or so, after school, thinking and people watching as I soak up the sunshine (I always wear sunscreen as the #1 cause of aging is indeed, the sun)- this is my time to unwind and relax.

Shelling is a major part of my beach activities, inherited by my mother; she is meticulous in her quest for the perfect shells- no crap for Mama. No broken bits, or ordinary contraband will do. This inherent shell snobbery also correlates to the fact that I've lived on, or near the beach for 2/3 of my life; I've had plenty of time to gather "less than" shells. That is to say, I no longer shell as the tourists do- picking up any old shell just because it's there.

My collection is fierce and although I've found a lush array of shells in New Smyrna Beach, including several starfish, I have yet to find a perfect sand dollar.

This morning, one of my good girlfriends called me on my way to school. "Let's go to the beach when I get out at 2," I suggested.

"Sure," she squealed. "Call me when you get home!"

I drove like a maniac down I95 until I reached A1A and was near home. "Okay, girl," I said over the phone. "Let's meet up in 15 minutes!"

At first, my friend balked. Apparently she was overheated and couldn't stand the idea of sitting in the sun for hours. Slightly upset, I decided to forge on to the beach alone. Who knows, I wondered, maybe you'll find a sand dollar or another starfish? Sand dollars are starfish are kindof important in the shelling world; the ultimate find might be an intact conch shell (but I've already found those gems). Before I could walk out the door, my friend called back and stated that she was on her way.

We had a beautiful afternoon at the beach: we laughed and talked about whatever girls talk about, and made small talk with the tourists, left over from the 4th of July weekend. Eventually, the sun proved a little strong for me and I suggested that we sit in the water to cool off.

I've always believed in Karma, but today made me want to throw the notion by the wayside. Before heading to the water, I consciously moved our belongings further back from the water's edge- the tide was making its way inland and I didn't want to swim to collect our things. This was both my mistake and misfortune:

Literally, as my eyes set sight on an enormous sand dollar- perfectly intact- my friend squealed loudly, staking her claim on the treasure! This is the unwritten law of shelling: it does not necessarily matter who picks up the shell first, but whomever sets sights on it and makes a verbal claim, is the rightful keeper. Indeed, my friend was the true or first finder of the shell, to my complete dismay. For 6 years, I've combed the beach before my house in search of a sand dollar and on the day that one appeared, the prize was snatched from me!

Trying not to whine or completely pack up and ditch my friend, we assumed our positions in our chairs and continued random conversation. Even though I smiled, I was fuming inside as if my friend had stolen my birthright.

"You know what," she asked?

"What," I tried not to ask too dryly.

"I think God put that shell in my path as good luck- I think it's telling me that it was OK to take that $30 out of the register at work- and not to worry about it- my boss is such a bitch."

Her statement both mortified and infuriated me; I laughed in her face. "I don't think God gave you the ultimate find to reward you for stealing... I don't think that's how it works."

If her suggestion is true, I am giving up on Karma. I don't think Karma would reward such an act either- especially not for stealing- especially when I wanted to skip school that day, but forced myself into attendance. So what did I get? Not the ever- precious sand dollar- just sand in my bathing suit bottoms!

5 comments:

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

I'm largely ignorant on karma, I just know what the sitcoms say about it. Maybe karma doesn't always come back to the same person. Maybe some of the good you do benefits others on your behalf. Sort of a karma charity plan. Maybe your good stopped your thieving sand dollar finding friend from getting a sun sponsored mole.

The Cool Commentator said...

Hey there! Hope you are well and still enjoying blogging!! I have been away from my blog for almost a week now but I am back!

I have just written Chapter 3 - Part 1 and got it up on the blog, so come over and catch up with Jack and Stephanie.

I will stop by and read your recent posts when i get the chance! :) Look forward to hearing what you think of the next installment!!!

Anonymous said...

THANKS 4 SENDING ME THE LINK. AS A FAN OF YOUR OLD BLOG I AM HAPPY YOU ARE BACK ONLINE!!!! WHEN IS THE NOVEL DUE OUT? THEY SAY THAT "KARMA IS A BITCH" AND MAYBE THE PRECIOUS SANDDOLLAR IS INDEED UNDER THE CATEGORY. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME?

-DAWSON

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

Thanks for the comment about being a new dad. Unfortunately I can't hide behind ignorance on this one. Baby Sammy is my third. OK to add you to my list too?

I love how under my link on your site it says Nancy Boy!

generic Brand said...

Understand that karma is independent of good or evil. It is essentially a metaphysical extension of Newton's Third Law.

Therefore, karma is incapable of rewarding your friend in the sense of giving her the sand dollar. But perhaps your friend received the sand dollar because of her accrued karma. A difficult subject to grasp, no?

Still, I hope you can find one of your own someday. I hope you can keep up with posts. It's always fun to read the adventures of a fellow Central Floridian